3/13/14

Caitie McCoy’s career profile offers a glimpse at the myriad Sea Grant job options

With spring break happening now and many students considering their internship and career options as graduation approaches, this time of year usually brings up the questions like “where should I work?” or “what career options are out there for me?” 

IISG’s environmental social scientist Caitie McCoy was recently profiled on Sea Grant’s marine careers website, and offered a glimpse at some of the ways her background has allowed her to join Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant, work with several other affiliated organizations and communities, and do hands-on work in helping to protect and preserve the Great Lakes environment. 

“Majoring and interning in the environmental sciences can lead you to a very exciting career,” Caitie told us. “My career has taken me places I never thought I’d go. If you had asked me my freshman year of college what I’d be doing 10 years from now, I would have told you about my dreams of taking care of animals at wildlife sanctuaries, interpreting at national parks, or researching bird population dynamics. I never expected that I’d be traveling around the Great Lakes to do outreach on contaminated sediment remediation. I didn’t even know about sediment remediation until I read the job announcement for my current position. There are a lot of meaningful careers out there that most students have probably never heard of. Don’t be afraid to give odd-sounding internships and jobs a chance. There are only so many open positions for marine biologists, park rangers, and Environmental Protection Agency scientists, but the world also needs social scientists, hydrologists, and GIS analysts. Keep your options open!” 

Read more about Caitie’s experience as a member of IISG’s staff, and explore Sea Grant’s marine careers website for information about the career options available to everyone with an interest in marine science, coastal economies, environmental issues, and protecting and preserving the beauty of our coastlines.

ShareThis